Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thinking Thursday - Are you happy with who you are?





   As you read and learn about Zenobia hopefully you can see her uniqueness and how she embraces who she is. She is not ashamed of being different, she loves who she is. In Zenobia - Birth of a Legend , read below from chapter twelve.




 "Master Zeriah, this is Zenobia, your pupil for the day, and hopefully longer if you so decide. I believe you will find her to be one of the most dedicated students you will ever have, though possibly a bit challenging."
    ...
     He had not been told his pupil was a girl, and a very young one at that. If he had, he might not have accepted the job. He glanced at Cam and raised his eye brow in a mild rebuke, but Cam simply stated, "You won't believe it until you see it."
     Turning back to the pretty girl before him, he smile inwardly and thought, This ought to be different  "It is a pleasure to meet you Zenobia. Walk with me." He began strolling across the desert as if he were surveying it for some future purpose. She fell in alongside him. "Ah, the desert," he proclaimed, "ever changing, yet somehow the same, dependable. A seemingly simple environment, but deceptively so. Have you found it so? Do you love it?" He now looked directly at her. 
     "Yes," She said simply. "But then, I love the forest and mountains also."
He nodded and continued strolling. Presently he asked, "And what is your favorite weapon, Zenobia?"
     "I like all weapons, my Lord, though I am most proficient with the bow."
      ... He had never met a girl like this one..." You know more wisdom than one would expect in someone your age. He turned and walked back toward the training area. 
     "Thank you. May I say that I never would have expected this kind of beginning to a lesson on the use of a sword."
     "You may. It is because I train the whole person, not just the physical skills. People who excel in any skill or sport or intellectual pursuit always have one characteristic in common. Do you happen to know what that is?"
     She did not, but she decided that an educated guess was called for. "Desire?"
     "No, though that does feed it. It is the ability to concentrate. Now that it's been emphasized, you should be able to recognize it over and over again in highly successful individuals." He paused to allow this concept to sink in for several minutes before continuing. 
     "The discipline of the mind with the ability to concentrate and maintain that concentration are the key to master of any skill. But you must have discerned that in your progression in archery."
     She had, now that he spoke of it, but she could not have previously expressed it that way. At least, she thought, his views are unusual and stimulating. 
...
     "Why do you want to become a warrior?" he asked
     "Why did you become one?' She replied
     He laughed and responded,  "I was sort of forced into it at the start, since I grew up in a violent society and my stature was smaller than most. I recognized that I needed to be faster and deadlier to survive. Eventually I realized it could be exciting and profitable profession. Obviously, it's a useful skill for men, but no a common one for a women."
     "I am not a common girl, and I will not be a common woman," she said simply. 




No comments:

Post a Comment